DROWNING IS SILENT AND PORTABLE POOLS AND INGROUND POOLS ARE THE CULPRITS
Does the warm, spring weather have you preparing to set up a portable pool in your yard? While portable pools are affordable and transportable, they can be just as dangerous or more than any other pool. CPSC has received an average of 35 reports of deaths of children under the age of 5 in portable pools each year. These pools account for 11 percent of all pool drownings for children that age.
Here are some general safety tips to help keep the kids in your life safe and still enjoy pool time:
- Fence portable pools and encourage your neighbors to do the same.
- Empty the water ANY time you are not supervising the pool and turn it upside down or store it away.
- NEVER leave a child unsupervised near any pool or spa.
- Cover larger pools and put ladders away when adults are not supervising or using the pool. When you buy the pool cover, ask at the store if it meets the latest standards.
- Install door alarms that will alert you when someone leaves the house and enters the pool or spa area.
- Teach children to swim, float and other life-saving basics. But do NOT consider young children “drown-proof” because they have had swimming lessons. or have on water wings.
- Simple steps save lives. Find more Pool Safely steps and safety videos at PoolSafely.gov.